Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's the Small Things That Make The Difference...

And no, I'm not talking about my height... ;)

I'm actually talking about my attitude. I moved home 2 months ago (on the 26th). I didn't exactly WANT to move home. Not because my family isn't amazing. (because they are) but because I just really really loved Utah.

Anyway, I've had a serious case of the grumps since I've been home. I've been irritable and angry and unsettled. If you know me, you know that I'm not typically a chronically crabby person. I'm usually a silver lining kind of gal. A cockeyed optimist, if you will. :) I dreaded Sunday morning worship at my home church. Not for any personal reason other than it wasn't Southside. It wasn't MY church in Utah. (really, Sarah, YOUR church? way to be possessive.) Today was the first day I haven't cried since I've been home.

I've been sad and grumpy about legitimate things. I've had all these transitions all at once. Being back home, not having a job, not having a car, going back to my home congregation. Some of my friendships have changed. Some have gotten stronger. Some have kind of fallen apart. Either way, I was a bundle of nerves and negativity. I was starting to annoy myself! (which means I'd probably been annoying others for quite some time)

I kept hearing "Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus." I kinda hoped it would go away because I had already ordered the balloons and punch for my next pity party. (I was going to order a clown... but that seemed a little too ironic.) But there it was again "make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus." SERIOUSLY?! But I don't wanna. I would rather sit here and feel sorry for myself. Wahh wahh wahh. Finally, this past Sunday, I made the conscious effort to not say anything negative for the whole day. Seriously. The. Whole. Day.

I am happy to report that I succeeded. At first, I thought negative things in my head and didn't say them out loud. Then promptly decided that kind of defeated the purpose. So I changed my thinking too. I didn't think or say anything negative all day. Badda Bing Badda Boom! No more grumps! Seriously amazing! I'm TOTALLY not patting myself on the back for this one. It's a God thing. I kept praying for Him to help me change my attitude. I just hadn't been making any effort at all to adjust my own attitude. Just by making the small change in my attitude and the conscious effort to make my attitude that of Christ Jesus (thanks Paul and Timothy, it changed my whole perspective on things! I cancelled the balloons and punch for my pity party. I realize that it's ok to be sad and hurt; but it doesn't do anyone any good if I'm spewing negativity all over the place. I feel so much better! I'm happy and giddy and silly again! I feel lighter. I'm starting to feel like myself again, and less of a zombie. I am so thankful for God's patience and grace.

So, dear friends, my exhortation to you is to try and go a whole day without saying anything negative. You'd be surprised at how your day gets so much better and things don't bother you!

Here's some motivation.
Philippians 2:5-8
"5 Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus,
6 who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God

as something to be used for His own advantage.

7 Instead He emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave,

taking on the likeness of men.

And when He had come as a man in His external form,

8 He humbled Himself by becoming obedient

to the point of death—even to death on a cross."

No comments:

Post a Comment