Saturday, August 29, 2009

Brown Bag #3

Hello! It’s 4:30 in the morning. Why am I not sleeping? I have no idea. I slept for 3 hours and for some reason my body felt as though that’s enough for me. So, here I am… wide awake in the middle of the night. Writing you another brown bag. I’m beginning to think that this is when God speaks to me the most. Or maybe it’s just that I’ve finally shut up long enough to hear Him talking to me. Either way, you reap the benefits. Or face the punishment. However you wish to view it.

I’m not sure I have a whole lot of wisdom for yall today. Case in point… I just said “yall”. I want to share with you, some things that have been going on here in Salt Lake City. Hopefully you can see that God is moving here… because I assure you- He is!

I have been on the field for 106 days. WOW! In some ways it feels like one day… other times it feels like I’ve been here forever. Ok let me tell you a little about my church. My church family is the Murray Park Church of Christ in Murray, Utah. It’s the first little suburb of the Salt Lake Valley. Murray Park Church of Christ, or Murray Church, as we affectionately call it, is a church plant made up of around 90 people. Including our Spanish- speaking congregation. Murray church is a very interesting and kind of different congregation. We’re very hodge podge. The church body is comprised of recovering drug addicts, former gang members, chemists, nuclear pharmacists, people coming out of homelessness, and some former Mormons. I told we were different. My first Sunday at Murray church I was just kind of still and quiet (shocker, I know). I wanted to take it all in. Immediately, I felt this transparency. Everyone is completely open with one another. Good, bad, or indifferent; they’re honest. It didn’t feel stuffy, or overly “churchy”. I was super impressed. Then, I was exploring around our church building one day and looked in our baptistery, and much to my surprise and excitement, there were RUBBER DUCKS! That’s right, folks. Rubber ducks in our baptistery. How awesome is that? I brought it up to someone in the church and they started laughing and said “I guess you could say we don’t take ourselves very seriously. Bill Baker put those in there.” Bill Baker is a man in his 60’s. He owns and runs a nuclear pharmacy here in the Salt Lake valley.

Oddly enough, when I saw the rubber ducks, I knew I’d fit in. I think the reason we all fit in, is because no one fits in! We’re just… family. They are the most encouraging, evangelistic, supportive family I’ve ever been a part of. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blissfully ignorant. We have our problems. But what family doesn’t? We put the “FUN” in dysfunctional. The first few weeks we were there they would pray “Lord please bless THE AIMers in their efforts.” Just a few weeks ago, Bill got up to lead the closing prayer and said “Lord, please bless OUR AIMers.” I never thought one possessive word could mean so much. That means we’re part of them! I’m so glad I’m here, and couldn’t ask for a better support system. I’m going to be completely honest with you. I’m hurting. I’m so incredibly homesick it’s not even funny. This last week was especially hard. I know it’s normal, but when you’re going through it, you don’t think about what’s “normal”. However, I know I’ll be ok, because I can open up to my Murray church family and lean on them.

Bill has all these catchy little sayings, so I’ll wrap this up with one from him. “We need to be fishers of men… not keepers of the aquarium.” Basically that means get out there and spread the word of God. Don’t keep it to yourself!

Keep on truckin, kids,
Sarah Beth

SHOUT OUTS!
Nik-I’ve cleaned up your puke… and seen you in a hospital gown. I believe that means we’ve officially bonded.

Isaac- you are absolutely hilarious. Thanks for accepting my ridiculousness, and returning it.

Kris- I’m still being tough. Thanks for believing in me.

Patrick- Hey man. I really miss your Luke class.

Lily- My fish is still alive, and according to beta facts.com he’s happy!

Jacob Samuel Adolf Esteban Norwood- haha. I got all your names in there. I left off your REAL last name, though. Thanks for consistently making laugh almost to the point of hyperventilation.

Trevor Thomspon- Hey! I miss you! A LOT!

Valerie- hey girlie. I’m so glad you’re in this class. You’re going to do amazing things for Jesus.

Princeton- you talk fancy. I enjoy it.

Logan- Oh my goodness. I miss you so much. I hope you’re doing well.

Ok I can’t write anymore or they won’t read it! Goodnight and good luck, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment