Saturday, August 15, 2009

Unrequited Love

So This was on my old Blog and I wanted to post it here.

I've been thinking (shocker, I know) and I feel, there's something to be said for unrequited love. Nope, I'm not a masochist...or a glutton for punishment. I'm simply an optimistic, hopeless romantic looking for the silver lining in an otherwise stormy cloud.

No need to grab your handy dandy pocket sized giant print Webster's English dictionary from your purse... (what? not everyone has one of those?....Oh) Anywho, here's the definition of "Unrequited":
1.not returned or reciprocated: unrequited love.


PERFECT! Thanks, dictionary.com! :)


As I was saying....wait...what was I saying? Oh, right...unrequited love blah blah blah.


I read a quote on N's facebook about unrequited love. It's from the movie "The Holiday".


"It's called unrequited love. Of that I am an expert. Most love stories are about people who fall in love with each other. But what about the rest of us? What about our stories, those of us who fall in love alone? We are the victims of the one sided affair. We are the cursed of the loved ones. We are the unloved ones, the walking wounded. The handicapped without the advantage of a great parking space!" -- Iris, The Holiday



So naturally, after I read this quote, I watched the movie. It's adorable. Totally sweet and mushy...But I digress.



Iris, the author of the aformentioned quote, pretty much hit the nail on the head. Falling in love alone...walking wounded...yadda yadda yadda. So true!



I think that unrequited love has the potential to be one of the most pure kinds of love there is. It's real, and it's scary and it's passionate. All of these characteristics add up to a seemingly dangerous combo...and it is. But anything worth having involves a risk. When you can't sleep because you know that you're going to see them the next day and all you can think about is how to greet them so you don't sound like an idiot...it may be love. If it involves all of that and you TELL the apple of your eye...the object of your affection....the wind beneath your wings (and all those other nauseating cliches ) how you feel and they just can't seem to reciprocate the feelings....It's unrequited.



You sit...brokenhearted...void of any feeling except that lump forming in your throat because you want to cry. But you know that if you start, the tears won't stop and you have business to take care of so you push the tears back, and fight off that feeling for at least one more moment.



Now poses the question... What happens when you give your heart to someone who doesn't want it? (These things don't come with gift receipts, ya know). WHY do we give away our hearts if we're not sure they can be returned? More importantly...What do we do with the tiny pieces of our hearts left on the ground after being ripped to shreds by the carnivorous beast called heartbreak, we once thought was timid, sweet, love? You pick up the pieces and weld them back together....and respect the love for the purity of what it was. For even if not returned, the love you had for that person is sweet, and beautiful...and won't ever leave your memory.

Funny thing about breaks, and mends...Did you know that if something breaks and is welded back together...the STRONGEST point on that object is now on the weld? Same with bones...if bones are broken and then set in a cast, the bones will then grow back stronger than before. I think hearts work much the same. My heart has been broken innumerable times...not just by romance but by other things as well. Sadness in the world...loss of a loved one...Not being able to say the right things to comfort your VERY BEST friend when they're exasperated and homesick. All of these things add up to LOTS and LOTS of heartache. Maybe I should just give up feeling and I'll save myself some heartache...NOTACHANCE! Even though my heart gets broken, I pick it up, and weld it back together. What do I weld with? Not a soldering iron and solder.... but with prayer, laughter, tears and my Bible. For I know that everytime I weld my heart back together, it gets stronger and stronger.

So you see, unrequited love gets a bad rep... It's not a bad thing. It's a beautiful and meaningful thing. It's going to hurt...and you'll cry...and cry...AND CRY (at least if you're me). But I encourage you, friends, to pick up your heart and weld it back together. Because with every heartache comes growth and strength. When you feel like you can't possibly take any more heartache or you'll be void of all emotion forever? That's when the growing happens. Take the risk... Love...for even if unrequited, it's a special thing that's to be cherished forever.

I heard this song a while ago and I really like it. It's called "Broken" by Lindsay Haun
Wake up to a sunny day,
Not a cloud up in the sky
Then it starts to rain.
My defenses hit the ground,
and they shatter all around
So open and exposed
But I find strength in the struggle
Face to face with my trouble

Chorus:When you're broken,
in a million little pieces
And you're trying,
but you can't hold on anymore
Every tear falls down for a reason
Don't you stop believing in yourself
When you're broken.

Little girl don't be so blue
I know what you're going through
Don't let it beat you up
Hitting walls and getting scars
Only makes you who you are
Only makes you who you are.

No matter how much your heart is aching
There is beauty in the breaking

Yeah(Repeat chorus)

Better days are you gonna find you once again
Every piece will find its place

When you're broken,
when you're broken

(Repeat chorus)
Oh when you're broken
When you're broken
When you're broken

No comments:

Post a Comment